Sunday, February 6, 2011

WEEK 5-A HARD WEEK !

Each week I find the assignments more interesting but challenging on the other hand. This week was a hard one indeed! First of all, I learnt very useful rubrics and “ rubistar”  as the most useful website. The rubrics I sent are the ones we are using in our school. I think they are clear. As Robert suggested there are still some confusing points in speaking rubric. I will share it with the director soon.

PBL was thought us when I was a student at university in ELT department. However, if I am not wrong, we learnt it in connection with Task based approach. It is a modern approach and what I like most in PBL is that it takes English out of class and students have to deal with it in their free time after school. One of the basic points it provides is students don't see English as a classroom language. It is not a history lesson that they can't feel outside the class.

WebQuests are really innovative and I should develop it more. When searching information on the net about WebQuests, I noticed it can be applied in many different areas and there are some really interesting pages. In zunal.net, integrating English learning with mythology was a brilliant idea. Even, using multiple-intelligence theory of Gardner, the common tendency of the students can be analyzed and the projects may be adjusted accordingly (Just an idea).

Finally, I had to spend some time on making a WebQuest and finally i did although I had problems publishing it. The reason why I chose introducing a touristic place for my project is that it is very popular in the world and students can go there in 20 minutes by a minibus. In Pamukkale, there are many tourists with whom they can communicate easily (I know because I did the same many years ago). This way they will be able to see what they learn in class is not something from the other planets but it is used among people for communication. Additionally, while searching for information they will read really interesting events in history which I believe they will like. Writing what they learnt for class corner and introducing it to other students orally will make them use all four skills interactively!

That’s what I learnt this week!!

Aveka

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aveka

    Sorry you were a bit over worked. If the length of your post is any indication, however, it was well spent time! Nice reflective post.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your supporting feedback!

    ReplyDelete